The numbers are officially in and Taylor Swift has done it again!
Taylor released her fifth album, 1989, last week and it was projected early on that the album would sell around 650,000 copies which then was raised to 800,000. As the week progressed, the projected numbers continued to increase to over a million and now the final tally is in.
1989 has officially sold 1.287 million copies in the week ending Nov. 2, according to Nielsen SoundScan which means it will debut at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 albums chart with the largest sales week for an album since 2002. Talk about crazy! That’s not the only record Taylor has broken. Here’s the breakdown according to Billboard:
-1989 is Taylor’s fourth #1 album following Red (in 2012), Speak Now (2010) and Fearless (2008).
– The largest sales week for an album since June 2, 2002, when Eminem’s The Eminem Show sold 1.322 million in its second chart week at No. 1. The album debuted atop the chart a week earlier, selling 285,000 copies after it was released on a Friday, giving the album only three days of sales in its chart bow.
– Taylor is the only act to earn three million-selling weeks with an album. She also racked up million-selling weeks with the debuts of Red (1.208 million) and Speak Now (1.047 million). She was already the only woman to have two million-selling frames. (Her first two albums, 2008’s Fearless and her 2006 self-titled debut, bowed with 592,000 and 39,000, respectively.)
– 1989 is immediately the biggest-selling album released in 2014, and the only one to sell a million in total, after only a week on sale. It jumps ahead of Coldplay’s Ghost Stories, which has sold 745,000.
– After just one week on sale, 1989 is the second-largest-selling album of 2014, behind only the Frozen soundtrack. The latter has sold 3.2 million this year. (It was released in November 2013 and has sold 3.5 million cumulatively.) 1989 and Frozen are the only two albums to sell a million copies in 2014.
– 1989 is just the 19th album to sell a million copies in a week since SoundScan started tracking sales in 1991. Of the last four million-selling weeks, which have all occurred since 2010, three of them are owned by Swift.
Congratulations Taylor! To celebrate, she posted an adorable video of her rapping. Check it out below.