DIVERGENT Hits Blu-Ray & DVD Plus Christian Madsen Reveals 6 Behind-the-Scenes Secrets
Get ready to bring Tris, Four and the rest of the gang home with you when Divergent hits Blu-Ray and DVD this week!
Relive the adventure based on Veronica Roth’s #1 New York Times best-selling book series. If you love the series, you’ll definitely want to make sure you take home a copy of the movie because it’s jam-packed with bonus features to keep you busy for hours.
The Blu-ray Combo Pack includes the documentary “Bringing Divergent to Life,” an in-depth look at the making of the film plus the exclusive featurette “Faction Before Blood,” detailing the film’s future world. The Blu-ray Combo Pack and DVD both feature deleted scenes and two audio commentaries – one with director Neil Burger and one with producers Douglas Wick and Lucy Fisher. One of our favorite things from the bonus features was getting to see the cast train and get prepared for their epic stunts like the knife throwing scene and jumping out of the train. We also just love getting to see them all hang out together. It makes us even more excited for Insurgent and the rest of the series.
We had the chance to chat with Christian Madsen, who plays Tris’ (Shailene Woodley) fellow Dauntless initiate Al. He revealed to us fun secrets from the film.
1. While many actors auditioned for various parts, Christian only read for Al and the movie went by the code name Cat Bird. “I got an audition for what was called at the time Cat Bird and I was like, ‘what the hell is that?’ I got the audition and instead of looking up everything about the film, I decided to focus on the work. I connected with the breakdown of Al like I had never connected with anything before.”
2. The cast really got to know each other two and a half weeks before filming when they began training which included a lot of cool stunts. “It was a great bonding experience and I think the knife throwing was the coolest because we threw real ones. We did some tactical gun training and things that I wish we would have gone further in depth with the trainers.
3. The cast hit up a lot of hockey games and concerts in their downtime. “Theo and I would go to Blackhawks hockey games, and those games were incredible,” Christian shared. “Me and Miles saw Bog Seger which was incredible, we saw the Rolling Stones, stuff like that that you don’t even really put on your bucket list because it’s out of control. A lot of stuff that I’ll never forget.”
4. Christian’s favorite scene to see come to life was the train jumping. “It was cool to see how they mashed together us jumping off the train and onto the roof like that. Obviously, we didn’t do it quite like that so it was cool to see it come together.” If you watch the Blu-Ray/DVD extras, you can see just how they put the scene together by painting in certain background elements. It’s so cool!
5. One of the deleted scenes shows an emotional moment between Al and Tris. “There was a scene between me and Shai where it was just us on the cliff. I haven’t seen it yet, but I’m looking forward to seeing it. I remember really becoming invested in trying to further the relationship with Al and Tris, not for my sake bur for the character of Tris to have more hurdles to go over before she goes off with Four. Just to make her character a little more complex so I would push for little things for her to maybe have some kind of romance there…”
6. While we’re bummed there’s no gag reel, Christian told us there were definitely a lot of funny moments on set and Miles Teller was usually the cause. “Any scene Miles was in, they were messing with him or he was messing with them.”
Be sure to pick up a copy of the movie! You won’t want to miss it.