5 Seconds of Summer Cover Billboard Magazine – 5 Things to Know
The full cover story will be out on Monday, but until then, the mag is sharing 5 fun things they learned from the band during their interview. It includes how they met plus – do they get free underwear yet?
1. Luke Hemmings attracted the attention from school make Michael Clifford after posting a cover of Mike Posner’s “Please Don’t Go.” Luke recalls: “He came up to me at school and said, ‘Do you want to do one together and, like, maybe make a band or something?'”
2. With their song “She Looks So Perfect” becoming a smash hit, has American Apparel given them a lifetime supply of underwear yet? “No one at the company has even sent us an email,” says Hemmings with a smile. “They’re playing hard to get.”
3. The guys want to encourage a new wave of rock bands like Green Day from the past. “If a kid picks up drumsticks because of our band, job done,” says Ashton Irwin. “Just to have guitars on the radio again is nice.”
4. The guys want to help develop new acts. Long-term plans for the band include branching out into A&R through Hi or Hey Records, the 5SOS imprint distributed by their label Capitol. “A girl version of us would be cool,” says Hemmings.
5. They’ve toned down their live shows during the 1D tour. “We do punk jumps and all that,” says Irwin — but they’ve tempered their language to accommodate 1D’s decidedly younger fan base. “We just don’t ever say ‘f—’ onstage,” he says. “At our own show,” says Hemmings, “we talk a lot of sh**.”