‘Les Miserables’ Heading to DVD and Blu-Ray on March 22
Do you hear the people sing?
Tom Hooper’s epic movie musical Les Miserables will be making its way to Blu-Ray and DVD on March 22, Entertainment Weekly has revealed! The movie, based on the stage musical of Victor Hugo’s 19th-century novel has grossed more than $144 million at the box office and earned eight Oscar nominations.
While the movie was shortened to fit in under 3 hours, fans of the musical have had their fingers crossed for the release of the extended version. Unfortunately, it looks like we have to wait a little longer for that…maybe a special edition? From the looks of it, the bonus features will include extended versions of the featurettes that were released prior to the movie’s theatrical release.
Click inside to see all the bonus features. Watch a trailer for the DVD here. Are you excited?
Bonus Features Exclusive to the Blu-ray
- Les Misérables Singing Live: The star-studded cast and production team discuss how the daunting challenge of singing live rather than lip-syncing to pre-recorded tracks ultimately gave them the creative freedom to deliver nuanced, emotionally powerful performances.
- Battle at the Barricade: Director Tom Hooper wanted the dramatic building of the barricade to be as visceral and intense as possible, so he had his actors build it in real time, literally hurling furniture out of windows to construct an actual barricade. This featurette takes an in-depth look at the creation and filming of all the action on this remarkable set.
- The West End Connection: Meet the “godfather” of the original stage production of Les Misérables, renowned West End producer Cameron Mackintosh, who was deeply involved in the filming, as well as former Les Misérables, theatrical stars who were thrilled to appear in supporting roles in the current film.
- Les Misérables on Location: Filming rather than staging Les Misérables presents the opportunity to shoot in real world locations: a massive dry dock on the coast of England, a beautiful underground chapel in the heart of London and the ancient city of Winchester. Members of the cast and crew talk about what it was like to find and work in these incredible locations.
Bonus Features on Both the Blu-rayand DVD
- The Stars of Les Misérables: Director Tom Hooper talks about casting the iconic characters, and the actors discuss why it was important to them to be a part of this groundbreaking version of
- Creating the Perfect Paris: Production designer Eve Stewart created a massive Paris set featuring real cobblestones and running water. Take an intricate look into the detailed recreation of these Paris streets that no longer exist in today’s world.
- The Original Masterwork: Victor Hugo’s Les Misérables: This mini-documentary takes a look at the historical backdrop and universal themes of Hugo’s classic, and how the filmmakers mined the novel to enrich the look and feel of the film.
- Feature Commentary with Director Tom Hooper